There are many sites out there that tell you many things about Unimogs and where you can get great parts and core ideas. But as we have a specific goal in mind these four have been beyond valuable:
Atkinson Vos – UK
Unidan – Australian
After getting all the paperwork done we drove the Unimog up to Atkinson Vos. The drive up to High Bentham was exciting. It was my first long distance trip in a Unimog.
About 100miles into the trip the Unimog started losing power. I was gutted. How can such a beautiful beast not work! Luckily I had a spare fuel filter and tools – She had been parked for so long that the fuel had gone bad. A quick stop, some dirty hands and we were on our way again. From them on no more problems.
What I have learnt is that owning a Unimog is an expression of personal choices and then following through to live and enjoy those roads taken. So decided on a number of things to do and not to do is all optional.
The main drive to go to AV was that I needed somebody to ensure this Unimog was ready for Africa. So much of the repairs related to replacing the brakes, replacing many of the seals and rubbers, oils etc.
Making it Africa Ready:
- Starter spinning not engaging – fit recon starter
- 5-6 Gear light not working – repair
- Rev counter back light not working
- 4X4 & diff light not working
- Bolt missing from snorkel
- Fuel leak from around the filters
- Filter head repalced with Standard head
- No Marker lights on rear and no fog lights
- All Pads and Discs replaced
- All Calipers replaced
- All Hub Oils & Seals checked and replaced where needed.
- All Brake pipes & Breather pipes checked and replaced where needed
- Fit all new belts
- Fix Loose Injector Pipe Seals
- Full service
- Fit HD Radiator & Intercooler – Leave the option for upgrading injectors to later.
- Replacing alternator with 110Amp output
Cosmetics were also looked at
- Fit new mirros and adjust brackets
- Fit new Mudguards
- Repair Night Heater
- Replace front door cards
- Sound proofing Kit & Rear Mat
- Fit 4x Seat belts
- Fit 2x Headlight guards
- Fit 6x Mich XZL 365/85R20 rims
- Fit U1300L Rear body – This also gave us rear mudguards
- Full repaint Including Body in Brilliant Silver
- Fuel tank project: 2X ALI Tanks giving approx 600LTR capacity
- 2X Manual Change over taps and switch to isolate each tank
- Ali battery box & Tray for mounting
- Move silencer to front
Other Actions to reduce weight and strategic options:
- Remove Shaft, lubrication tank, Lever, PTO AIR SWITCH AND BLANK OFF – Decided to go for electric winch.
- Remove “additional” gearbox – Not sure why it was there but weighing in at 150kgs it was removed.